I'm Pam Newman.
I am awesome every day & you are too.
Follow my butt on Twitter!
I'm a writer of aricles, poems & songs. Here's some cool stuff I wrote.
Because that’s not going to breed dirty cops at all…
Public workers in the hard-up US city of Scranton, Pennsylvania have had their pay slashed to minimum wage-levels as a budget fight between the mayor and city council comes to a head.
About 400 municipal workers in the city — including police officers, firefighters and construction workers — are being subjected to steep pay cuts that have sparked a string of lawsuits.
The city, which is the birthplace of Vice President Joe Biden and has become synonymous with industrial decline, is facing bankruptcy and the mayor has refused to borrow more money to pay wages.
For police officers with two years on the job that now means a pay cut from $26 an hour to $7.25 an hour, a drop of more than 70 percent.
Construction workers who earn between $18 and $20 under union contracts will also get $7.25 per hour.
“All the vendors are getting 100 cents on the dollar, but the people keeping the buildings from burning down have seen their pay slashed by 75 percent,” Stephen Holroyd, an attorney representing three of the city’s workers’ unions, told AFP.
Roger Leonard, a heavy equipment operator for the city told National Public Radio last week that he typically gets a $900 check for two weeks of work. After the pay cut, it dropped to only $340.
“I have two children and a wife, and my wife is a stay-at-home mom,” said Leonard. “If the savings gets drained, we won’t be okay, but I’m hoping before that happens, that they come to a resolution,” he told reporters.
The city, about 120 miles (190 kilometers) north of Philadelphia is one of a number of so-called rust belt cities that have seen manufacturing and heavy industry flee over past several decades, leaving behind empty downtown storefronts.
But the cause of the immediate problem stems from mayor Chris Doherty and the city council’s inability to agree on a budget.
The Scranton Times-Tribune reported that the town had just $133,000 in the bank on Monday, but owed $3.4 million.
Holroyd said the town has the money to pay, because it has the ability to borrow money for salaries as it has done in the past.
“It’s not because the city’s broke, it’s because they are in a political squabble,” Holroyd said. “They’ve just decided not to go to the ATM.”
The mayor did not return a call for comment.
Unions representing the employees have also sought to hold the town’s mayor in contempt of court, saying he violated a judge’s order to reverse his decision to slash wages.
“He’s just ignoring the court’s order,” said Holroyd.
Many US municipalities have seen their finances decimated by a flight of businesses and residents to the suburbs and beyond, leading to an ever-dwindling tax base and predictions of a wave of municipal defaults.
Meanwhile in the real world … shit is fucked.
I remember the Scranton tea party making a big stink over the usual things they make a stink about (Obama being the radical, Muslim socialist, Kenyan Beelzebub that wants to create death panels to kill your grandparents etc) Let’s see if they make a stink about this. I wonder if they will take to the streets in protest like they did when they demanded Obama’s birth certificate. Fuckers.
See, I was doing such a great job of not getting pissed off at shit I saw on the internet… but this?
This is fucking bullshit.
The Mayor and City Council should work for free.
Hold their meetings in schools or other places.
There is ALWAYS ANOTHER WAY THAT DOESN’T INVOLVE FUCKING WITH PEOPLE’S PAY. THIS IS BULLSHIT.
- inqueering likes this
- zarggg reblogged this from pappreciation
- zarggg likes this
- pappreciation reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- rienfleche reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- afterthemovies likes this
- agooddaytowhy reblogged this from dakhla92
- affably likes this
- dakhla92 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- lauratheoutlandish likes this
- spartanninja reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- bitterseafigtree reblogged this from aka14kgold
- sarahlee310 likes this
- hissingbooth reblogged this from craneyum and added:
- craneyum reblogged this from hissingbooth and added:
- blissandzen likes this
- glossylalia reblogged this from aka14kgold
- aka14kgold reblogged this from awesome-everyday
- awesome-everyday reblogged this from atane and added:
- awesome-everyday likes this
- atane reblogged this from randomberlinchick and added:
- tainted-petals reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- spacecadetjon likes this
- lgbtadvocate reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- beyondmoderation reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- randomberlinchick reblogged this from self-styled-iconoclast and added:
- randomberlinchick likes this
- orlean-red reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- nyquilontherocks reblogged this from self-styled-iconoclast and added:
- neoliberalismkills likes this
- process-effect reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- thisismgk reblogged this from anarcho-queer and added:
- kaylinviazanko reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- iwalkliketommypickles reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- error-drift-incompatible reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- anarcho-queer posted this