I'm Pam Newman.
I am awesome every day & you are too.
Follow my butt on Twitter!
I'm a writer of aricles, poems & songs. Here's some cool stuff I wrote.
Jackie Ormes (1911 - 1985)
To say Mrs. Ormes is an inspirational creator and ahead of her time is an understatement.
Born Zelda Jackson, she was a journalist who was hired as a proofreader of the Pittsburgh Courier, one of the first major and most influential Black newspapers in the country. While at the Courier, Ormes created Torchy Brown in Dixie to Harlem, a story about a teenage singer from Mississippi who realizes her dream to perform at the legendary Cotton Club in Harlem, New York.
After moving to Chicago in 1942, Mrs. Ormes wrote for another influential Black newspaper, the Chicago Defender (ironically a sibling publication to the Pittsburgh Courier since 2003) where she contributed feature stories, a social column, and after the end of the second World War, a one-panel comic strip called Candy (not to be confused with Alvin Hollingsworth’s comic strip Kandy), which was the misadventures of a sharp-witted housemaid who didn’t conform to the stereotypical Mammy archetype of the era but rather shapely, attractive, and realistic, a rarity in any medium.
Mrs. Ormes returned to the Courier in 1947 and created a new one-panel strip that lasted 11 years. Patty-Jo ‘n’ Ginger chronicled the lives of a pair of sisters, a short, opinionated, sharp-tongue little girl named Patty-Jo and her older, statuesque sister Ginger. Patty-Jo was also the inspiration of a popular doll produced by Terri Lee Dolls and noted for its realistic Black American features as opposed to the Topsy/Mammy dolls of the day. Only produced for two years, the Patty-Jo dolls are collectors items.
1950 brought the reintroduction of Mrs. Ormes’ Torchy Brown, who was no longer a teenage performer but now an independent woman looking for love and a place in this world while taking on issues of the day, particularly civil rights, in a new full-color title, Torchy Brown in Heartbeats. In 1957, Mrs. Ormes retired from comics but continued to create fine art and living a busy social life throughout the Chicago area.
- deweydell25 likes this
- the-miseducation-of likes this
- albasaurus likes this
- elegantangel05 likes this
- whitjanay reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- jellyjewel reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- xxchubbybitsxx likes this
- evelikescoolstuff reblogged this from theuntitledmag
- ilovethosesweaters likes this
- brinah321 reblogged this from theladymisskier
- scratchwhereititches reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- scratchwhereititches likes this
- bepatientlikezacefron likes this
- nebbie91 likes this
- theloveofmanga reblogged this from thedeluxshow
- tobia likes this
- reginaagu likes this
- indeci-sieve reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- indeci-sieve likes this
- thedeluxshow reblogged this from allblack-arteverything
- allblack-arteverything reblogged this from drawingpeopleofcolor
- jadegotthejuice reblogged this from blackgirlflymag
- jadegotthejuice likes this
- thisisntmyrealhair reblogged this from alien-passion
- otimoneal likes this
- india617 reblogged this from alien-passion
- naturally-ken reblogged this from blackgirlflymag
- rarelydiscovered reblogged this from blackgirlflymag
- oru-otu reblogged this from alien-passion
- cocoamoon reblogged this from blackgirlflymag
- paradise-for-dorothy reblogged this from alien-passion
- blackgirlflymag reblogged this from alien-passion
- chloe7yay likes this
- alien-passion reblogged this from black-animation-network
- alien-passion likes this
- kajikillian reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- kajikillian likes this
- 101artislife likes this
- themaskedmountie likes this
- solpogo likes this
- bashilicus likes this
- randomaimee likes this
- sweetbrownsugarandmilk reblogged this from black-n-animated
- sweetbrownsugarandmilk likes this
- gabi88888 likes this
- seekingmoore likes this
- cts598 reblogged this from browngirlinorange
- wizardapprentice likes this
- antgo reblogged this from oeblegacy
- deargracebones reblogged this from browngirlinorange