I'm Pam Newman.
I am awesome every day & you are too.
Follow my butt on Twitter!
I'm a writer of aricles, poems & songs. Here's some cool stuff I wrote.
Black history month fact #17
Africans discovered America before Columbus.
According to Harold G. Lawrence, author of African Explorers of the New World, cited by John G. Jackson:
“That Africans voyaged across the Atlantic before the era of Christopher Columbus Is no recent belief. Scholars have long speculated that a great seafaring nation which sent is ships to the Americas once existed on Africa’s west coast. We can now positively state that the Mandingoes of the Mali and Songhay Empires, and possibly other Africans, crossed the Atlantic to carry on trade with the Western Hemisphere Indians, and further succeeded in establishing colonies throughout the Americas.”
Columbus has been hailed as the discoverer of America, but Columbus himself never succumbed to any such delusion. Proof of this is evidenced by the fact that Columbus was informed by some men when he stopped at the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of Africa, that Negroes had been known to set out into the Atlantic from the Guinea coast in canoes loaded with merchandise and steering toward the west.
Columbus was further informed by the Indians of Hispaniola…that they had been able to obtain gold from black men who had come from across the sea. It must also be added that Amerigo Vespucci on his voyage to the Americas witnessed these same black men out in the Atlantic returning to Africa.”
~Introduction to African Civilizations, by John. G. Jackson, p. 234-241
(Also see They Came Before Columbus by Ivan Van Sertima)
Dude, we are going to
- Meet up
- GET IN A MOTHERFUCKING PRIUS.
- Eat breakfast at motherfucking DENNY’S.
- Make OBAMA GET THE FUCK OUT AND VOTE phone calls using my laptop on the road using an iPhone’s WIFI HOTSPOT SIGNAL
- I AM GOING TO MOTHERFUCKING BLOG AND TWEET EVERYTHING
- We are gonna eat TRADER JOES SNACKS the whole way
- We will CAMPAIGN THE FUCK out of the Obama Campaign in a predominantly African-American area
- AND WEAR RED WHITE AND BLUE; GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Politicians would behave differently in office if they were not allowed to run for reelection. The very fact that judges, senators and congress members are allowed unlimited terms is in itself, a problem.
Without term limits, we create dynasties within our states. And honestly, it really doesn’t matter how many terms a president gets if the house & senate are filled with the same good ol boys doing the same good ol boy shit.
Although I’m into dudes like Bernie Sanders and John Yarmuth, for each one of those guys there’s at least one or two dudes like Mitch McConell and John Bohner.
There needs to be a loving a marriage between the concept of eliminating reelection and dismantling this corrupt, fiscal back rub system of corporate campaign financing. If this happens, we might actually have a functional government that actually makes legislation on behalf of constituents once everything is said and done.
We, the people, ought to stand up and say elected officials should only run once, and thereby eliminate career politics. We could replace it with a system of true citizen representatives, and create a bigger partnership between previously elected people and their replacements. Election season would become more about policy and engaging citizens about the decisions being made on their behalf.
I also think people who actually give a damn would be more likely to run.
- Because they don’t have an address, homeless people can not register to vote, or renew their voter registration.
- Roughly 1 in every 200 persons in the US used the shelter system at some point between October 1, 2008 and September 30, 2009.
- On any given night in America, anywhere from 700,000 to 2 million people are homeless, according to estimates of the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty.
According to a December, 2000 report of the US Conference of Mayors:
- Single men comprise 44 percent of the homeless, single women 13 percent, families with children 36 percent, and unaccompanied minors seven percent.
- The homeless population is about 50 percent African-American, 35 percent white, 12 percent Hispanic, 2 percent Native American and 1 percent Asian.
- According to the United States Conference of Mayors, the main cause is the lack of affordable housing.
So I was in japan, hanging out with a German woman and a Japanese woman drinking beer, and laughing about life in a “British” pub.
One of my best international friends is a German girl.
60-ish years ago my grandfather was fighting a war against their homelands.
We can all just get along AND time does heal all wounds, after all.
Maybe my grandchildren will be vacationing in afganistan with isreli girls, eating sushi at a sake bar. :-)